Collage of CMDA Building, CMBT, MRTS, ORR and CMDA Expansion in English and Tamil


TheChennai Metropolitan Development Authority regulates developments in ChennaiMetropolitan Area through issue of Planning Permission (PP) under section 49 ofthe Tamil Nadu Townand Country Planning Act 1971.

ChennaiMetropolitan Development Authority has delegated powers to the Local Bodieswithin the Chennai Metropolitan Area to issue planning permission for ordinarybuildings and buildings under normally permissible categories of Industrial, Residential,Institutional and Commercial use zones and also sub-divisions & smalllayouts.  Chennai MetropolitanDevelopment Authority issues planning permissions to major developments likeSpecial buildings and Group Developments and other buildings under specialsanction of the Authority by itself, layouts for which powers were not delegated to Local Bodies and for Multi-storeyed / IT Buildings (MSB) withGovernment’s approval.

The ‘B’ Channel is in-charge of processing PP applications for Special Buildingsand Group developments.

The ‘C’ Channel is in charge of processing PP applications for major Industries andInstitutional buildings for which powers were not delegated to local bodies.

TheLayout channel is in charge of processing PP applications for majorsub-divisions and layouts for which powers were not delegated to local bodies.

The MSB & IT MSB channel is in charge of processing PPapplications for all types of Multi- storeyed buildings including IT and ITES.Non MSB IT or ITES buildings are also dealt in this channel

The details of the Norms set by CMDA for execution of PlanningPermission

The First essentialrequisite follows the procedure

It’sa lot easier to get permission to construct a building now.  Those tedious delays are things of thepast.  The new streamlined procedure ofthe CMDA ensures that you get your permission early.

What is Planning Permission?

Beforeyou undertake any development you have to obtain Planning Permission from theCMDA, which is a must under the Town and Country Planning Act.  The permission is valid for 3 years from thedate of issue.

How do you obtain Planning Permission?

Twocategories of applications have been prescribed. Form ‘A’ for laying out of lands for buildingpurposes Form ‘B’ & Form ‘C’ an undertaking from the applicant/owner.

You can get anapplication form from the office of CMDA. Chennai Corporation, Municipalities , Town Panchayatsand Panchayat Union Offices.

What are the documents to be attached tothe application?

Form ‘A’ for laying out of lands and Form ‘B’ &‘C’ for building construction.Form ‘B’ duly filled in signedby the owner and Licensed Surveyor,Architect and Power of attorney holder/lease holder along with thedocuments, plans and other particulars detailed out in the checklist.

With whom should youfile the application?

With Chennai CityMunicipal Corporation / Municipality / Town Panchayat / Panchayat Union as thecase may be depending upon location for all ordinary buildings and otherbuildings for which powers to issue planning permission has been delegated.

In case of SpecialBuildings (Ground + 3 floors) group development or Multi-storeyed building(more than 4 floors), applications directly admitted in CMDA.

On what basis is planning permissionissued?

Your applicationwill be scrutinized for its conformity to the land use for which the site hasbeen designated under the Master Plan or the Detailed Development Plan,compliance of the Development Regulations.  If it satisfies the Development Regulations, planning permission willbe issued, and if not, planning permission will be refused by the localAuthority / CMDA.

Will the site be inspected?

Yoursite will invariable be inspected by the Building Plan Inspector / TownPlanning Officer of the Local Body /Officers of CMDA.

What are your rights if you are aggrievedby the decision?

Ifpermission is refused by the local body or CMDA you can prefer an appeal to theGovernment.

What happens if you do not apply forPlanning Permission at all?

Ifyou carry out any development without proper permission it will be anunauthorized development.  Constructionmade without permission can be demolished or kept under lock and seal under the Act.

In case of deviation tobe made with reference to an approved plan also, permission is to beobtained.  A revised plan showing thedeviations should be submitted and the procedure for the approval of theoriginal plan will apply to all such deviation plans also.

Should you pay a licence fee / Developmentcharge?

Ifyour application is fit to be approved a demand will be sent to you by CMDA/the local body for payment of development charge. The rate will depend on the location of the site, proposed use and the floor area.

What is your obligation as a developerwithin the CMDA?

Obtainpermission for any development / construction you decide to carry out. Complete development as per the approved plan within the timeprescribed in the planning permit.

Where you can get details on land use andclarification on Development Regulations?

Atthe Counseling and Consultancy Counterin the first floor of CMDA’s Office complex at Thalamuthu-Natarajan Maligai, No.1, Gandhi-Irwin Road,Egmore, Chennai-600 008.

What services are rendered at thecounseling and consultancy counter?